[ncl-talk] Reading in .ieeer8 file and plotting it with NCL

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 4 13:47:24 MST 2017

Were the data records written by fortran or
        See: http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~salathe/osx_unix/endian.html

or ?????

[0]
The problem with binary is that someone must describe how the data was
written. Fortran's default (sequential) binary has **hidden record
separators**. The user could also open a binary with "access=direct". This
means 'flat' binary files (no record separators.

[1]
Were the binary files created on a big- or little-endian system? See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

[2]
Likely, fbindirread *or* fbinrecread would work. However, without more
knowledge not much more can be said.

[3]
One major reason for the creation of HDF and netCDF to allow the files to
be 'blindly' examined via a suite of standard function functions.