[ncl-talk] Reading in .ieeer8 file and plotting it with NCL

Hughlett, Taylor M taylor.hughlett at uta.edu
Wed Jan 4 13:30:04 MST 2017

Good afternoon everyone,

I am attempting to read in a .ieeer8 file using NCL so that it can be plotted.

I am completely new with binary files, so bear with me.

I understand that this is a binary file, so visualization and reading it is much more complicated than it would be with netCDF's.

After having looked over the instructions on the NCL site, I am still having some confusion with how to get started.

Specifically, I have these questions:

  1.  Will the fbindirread work to read in a .ieeer8 file (I am assuming the file is fortran as it is a restart file for CESM1's POP2)?
  2.  How do I know what data is stored on the file prior to reading it in (i.e. Variables)? Or is this even possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated with this, and I am happy to provide more information if it is required.

Thanks,
Taylor M Hughlett, Ph.D.
UTA Earth and Environmental Sciences
500 Yates St.