[ncl-talk] Reading in .ieeer8 file and plotting it with NCL

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 4 17:52:29 MST 2017

Taylor,

> 2. How do I know what data is stored on the file prior
> to reading it in (i.e. Variables)? Or is this even possible?

Files called "binary" without additional qualification can only be
understood by formal documentation, or by at least a minimal description
from the person who created the file.  You need to get this description
from the source of your data.  Typically there is no descriptive metadata
stored inside such files, and the assumption is that this description is
somewhere external.

The description should include file layout details such as array sizes,
positions, dimension order of storage, elemental data type, byte order,
fortran write mode if any, and record structure if any.  The description
should also include what variables and possibly metadata are stored.  If
the layout details are hard to get, it can sometimes help to find out just
what software created the file.

The suffix .ieeer8 says to me, "8-byte reals", because only fortran uses
the type name "real" instead of "float" or "floating point".  A fuller type
description is "8-byte IEEE floating point values", but that is just a
guess.  If correct, that would be NCL data type "double", and that does not
answer any of the other questions about file layout.

--Dave