[ncl-talk] adding multiple files

Dawit Abebe dawit.kan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 07:40:56 MDT 2017

Dear NCL users,

I’m having a challenge to add multiple files to NCL. I’m intending to work on monthly files ranging from 1901 - 2014. I tried the command below but failed.

Command used

	diri = "./"
ncl 29> files = systemfunc("ls *.nc")
ncl 30> f     = addfiles(diri+files, "r")

Return message for all files

warning:_NclOpenFile: Can not open file <pre_199501_mondat.nc>; file format not supported or file is corrupted

The command and return for single file seems working as showed bellow:

ncl 10> diri = "./"
ncl 11> fili = "pre_201412_mondat.nc"
ncl 12> f    = addfile(diri+fili, "r")
ncl 13> prc = f->pre
ncl 14> printVarSummary(prc)

Variable: prc
Type: double
Total Size: 288 bytes
            36 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes:	[time | 1] x [lat | 4] x [lon | 9]
Coordinates:
            time: [41987..41987]
            lat: [3.75..5.25]
            lon: [36.75..40.75]