[ncl-talk] How to convert TRMM real time binary file to netcdf format

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Sat Nov 26 11:00:24 MST 2016

Word of caution:

The TRMM satellite was destoryed on re-entry over a year ago now. nasa-space-flight article <https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/06/trmm-spacecraft-destructive-re-entry/>   While the 3B42rt files are still generated at this point they are just a legacy product based solely on IR estimates, but will phased out possibly in the next 12 months.

If you’re starting something new now, I’d recommend looking into the IMERG products instead of 3B42.  The IMERG products use the new GPM data and is higher resolution in every dimension.

Information on the switch to GPM based products here:
https://pmm.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/document_files/TMPA-to-IMERG_transition.pdf <https://pmm.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/document_files/TMPA-to-IMERG_transition.pdf>

Alan

Alan Brammer,
Post-Doc Researcher

Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences,
University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY, 12222
abrammer at albany.edu