[ncl-talk] Issues With EP Flux Calculation

Joshua Walston joshwalston at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:13:18 MST 2016

Hi NCL Users,

I am attempting to use the Eliassen-Palm flux function via the
ncl_contributed functions for the upcoming ncl_6.4 version. There seems to
be an error in my calculations as the output figures seem odd. My script is
running fine with no warnings, however the divergence and flux vectors seem
incorrect. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

Additionally, I have a 6 hourly data set that I would like to calculate the
flux for (i.e. would prefer to not have a time average). Is it possible to
loop through the data and get a return value of type "list" for each time,
so I can plot the flux at each 6 hour time step. If so, how? When I attempt
I receive a warning that states:

"fatal:Assignment type mismatch, right hand side can't be coerced to type
of left hand side"

I have placed 3 figures (00z, 06z and the average over all times), my
script, and the data (ERA40 Interim) here:

<http://goog_1241068196>
ftp://pubfiles.dri.edu/pub/jwalston/

Thank you in advance for your help,
Josh