[ncl-talk] Issues With EP Flux Calculation

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 7 07:24:50 MST 2016

Hi Josh,

I've not had a chance to look at your script, but that "Assignment type
mismatch..." error message always means one thing:  the variable on the
lefthand side (lhs) has been defined elsewhere prior to the assignment, and
it has a certain type, shape, and dimensions. The righthand side variable
or expression must match in all regards -- type, shape, dimension. In your
case, it doesn't.

If you simply want to reuse a variable name on the lhs, you can use the
reassignment operator ":=", which is an explicit indication by you the
programmer that you don't care that the lhs gets stomped on; eg.:

     foo = (/ 1, 2, 3, 4 /)
     foo = "A string, not an 1D integer array"     ; assignment YIELDS AN
ERROR, not same type, shape, or dimension
     foo := "A string, not an 1D integer array"    ; RE-assignment is OK.

If simple reuse is not what you want, try putting in some print statements
to make sure you know what lhs and rhs are/should-be.

Hope that helps...
Rick