[ncl-talk] EOF analysis with NARR data (LON, LAT values)

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 16 19:58:11 MDT 2015

Jothiganesh,

Yes you can directly read NARR data and compute EOF's without regridding.
The underlying EOF functions eofunc and eofunc_ts do not use any spatial
coordinates.  They operate purely on numeric arrays.

The first EOF example uses coordinate subscripting and the lonFlip
function.  If you remove both of these methods from the example, then you
can compute EOF's over the entire NARR grid.

However, to generate valid plots, you will need to retain the NARR
coordinate metadata, and modify the plot section to use one of the plotting
methods shown on the NARR examples page.

I recommend one of the projection methods in NARR example 4, because they
use the retained 2-D coordinate grids to directly align the data with the
underlying map.  After you get that working, you can switch back to Lambert
or some other projection of your choice.

--Dave