[ncl-talk] EOF analysis with NARR data (LON, LAT values)

Jothi Ganesh Shanmuga Sundaram joshanmugasundaram at mix.wvu.edu
Tue Jun 16 18:39:13 MDT 2015

Hello,

I use NARR gridded data (349x277 Lambert Conformal Conic grid) in netcdf
format in NCL. I am able to plot graphics without any problem using the
existing script in NCL website.

I want to do EOF analysis with NARR data. When I tried to use the EOF
script available from NCL website to analyze NARR data, it is not working.
When I checked the data using ncl_file dump the lon, lat formats are very
different. My question is

1) Whether I can do EOF analysis in NCL by directly reading NARR data? If
so, I cannot define the LON LAT value, as NARR has a projected coordinates
value?

2) Do I need to regrid the NARR curvilinear to rectlinear data before doing
EOF? or Is there a way to convert the format of LON, LAT in grid without
regridding inorder to do EOF analysis in NCL

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Jothiganesh