[ncl-talk] EOF analysis with NARR data (LON, LAT values)

Jothi Ganesh Shanmuga Sundaram joshanmugasundaram at mix.wvu.edu
Tue Jun 16 21:00:50 MDT 2015

Thanks a lot Dave. It's helpful. I tried running without any coordinate
script, it is running and I was able to generate the EOF and EOF-time
series netcdf files for the entire domain. I am interested in coordinate
subscripting as in the EOF example 1.

When I tried to enter the lon lat ranges, the script does not run. It says
lon is not a dimension or variable. It accepts x or y, but x and y are some
strange values in the data. If I type ncl_filedump file -v lon, I see the
values.

Here is the ncl_filedump summary.

short air ( time, y, x )
..
float lat ( y, x )
float lon ( y, x )

1) Is there a way to do the subscripting in the EOF code by defining lon
and lat instead of x and y.

2) Also, the output netcdf file of EOF does not have the lon, lat meta
data. Instead it has x and y, which cannot does not overlay when I tried
with NARR plot.

Here is my script.

;Read the NARR data (Air temperature at 2m)
f = addfile ("air.2m.mon.mean.nc", "r")

;Define the parameter, convert the format short to float
 p = short2flt(f->air(::12,:,:))

;Calculate the weights
w = sqrt(cos(0.01745329*p&y))  ;  p&y works, but if i enter p&lat, it does
not work.
wp = p*conform(p, w, 1)
copy_VarCoords(p, wp)

t = wp(y|:,x|:,time|:)            ; x and y works, but if i enter lon or
lat, it does not work.

;Number of EOF to be calculated
neof = 3

;NCL EOF functions
eof = eofunc_Wrap(t, neof, False)        ;EOF (3modesXlonXlat)
eof_ts = eofunc_ts_Wrap (t, eof, False)  ;EOF (3modesXtime)

;Export EOF spatial data as netcdfile
system ("/bin/rm -f EOFnarr.nc")
fout = addfile ("EOFnarr.nc", "c")
fout at title = "EOFs of pre 1971-2013"