[ncl-talk] error using yyyymmdd_to_yyyyfrac() NCL 6.1.2

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Tue Feb 24 08:13:42 MST 2015

Erik,
I don't have a real solution (just a simple workaround).

yyyymm_to_yyyyfrac utilises the function day_of_year()
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/day_of_year.shtml>
internally.  day_of_year
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/day_of_year.shtml> as
you'll see on the documentation page doesn't support the
proleptic_gregorian calendar.

My suggestion for you for now would be to convert the time units to a
calendar that is supported by day_of_year, and then continue.   cd_convert
will currently by default convert to a "standard" calendar this should then
work in yyyymm_to_yyyyfrac

Just need to add 1 line and edit the next. see below.

standard_time = cd_convert(eof_ts&time, eof_ts&time at units)
timeRec= cd_calendar(standard_time,2)

~Alan.