[ncl-talk] Tick mark size in contour plots

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 29 12:57:45 MDT 2015

Hi Gabriele,

First, a quick tip: if an NCL graphical resource is not behaving as
expected, then you can search for all of the application examples that use
that resource by going to the applications page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/

Click on the word "resources" in the sentence at the top:

[List of tips <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/concepts_list.shtml>,
resources <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/res_list.shtml>,
functions/procedures <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/func_list.shtml>
and the example scripts they appear in.]

Wait for the page to load, and you will get a giant alphabetical list of
resources and all the examples they appear in.
Here's a direct link:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/res_list.shtml#tmXBLabelFontHeightF

Back to your problem:

When you get a message about "yyyyy is not not a resource in xxxx at this
time", then you first do two things:

   1. Double-check that you've spelled the resource name correctly.

   2. Make sure you're applying it to a function that recognizes it. For
   example, you can't set "xyLineColor" when calling gsn_csm_contour.

In your case, it seems like you are spelling it correctly, and
gsn_csm_contour should accept both of those resources, so there must be
something else going on.

Can you try the attached script to make sure it works?  Also, can you
provide your script?

--Mary