[Go-essp-tech] User feedback on GW 1.3.x registration interface

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Tue Nov 22 09:36:28 MST 2011

Hi Martin,

I should add that it's very confusing that the form required to add the
missing information about an "alien" user looks just like the sign in one.
Make them "clearly different" would help a lot.

Thanks,
Estani
Am 22.11.2011 03:49, schrieb martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk:

> The first confusion here is that the user thinks that he or she is
> logged in when visiting a new gateway: it is a federation, not a
> virtual organisation -- so he/she is not logged in when she moves to
> another site. As far as I can see, the only way to get to the "new
> account" link is via the log-on page. It may be that the user is
> getting to this page by trying to access a protected link. The OpenID
> logon is available at the bottom of the page, but this is not
> necessarily visible -- the upper part o f the page has a user id and
> password boxes and a "new account" link under them. The text on the
> page is also mis-leading -- the first sentence starts "The Earth
> System Grid .....", which could suggest to a user that they are
> logging into the Earth System Grid system rather than just a component
> of it.
>
> I would suggest two changes:
>
> (1)Put the OpenID login above the local account login, or have an
> introductory sentence saying "You can log into the <institute> Earth
> System Grid gateway using either your <institute> account or an ESGF
> OpenID" with links to appropriate forms.
>
> (2)Change the title to "Login to <institute> Earth System Grid gateway"
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin

Estanislao Gonzalez

Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie (MPI-M)
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum (DKRZ) - German Climate Computing Centre
Room 108 - Bundesstrasse 45a, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany

Phone:   +49 (40) 46 00 94-126
E-Mail:  gonzalez at dkrz.de