[Go-essp-tech] User feedback on GW 1.3.x registration interface

martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 04:49:24 MST 2011

The first confusion here is that the user thinks that he or she is logged in when visiting a new gateway: it is a federation, not a virtual organisation - so he/she is not logged in when she moves to another site. As far as I can see, the only way to get to the "new account" link is via the log-on page. It may be that the user is getting to this page by trying to access a protected link. The OpenID logon is available at the bottom of the page, but this is not necessarily visible - the upper part o f the page has a user id and password boxes and a "new account" link under them. The text on the page is also mis-leading - the first sentence starts "The Earth System Grid .....", which could suggest to a user that they are logging into the Earth System Grid system rather than just a component of it.

I would suggest two changes:

(1)    Put the OpenID login above the local account login, or have an introductory sentence saying "You can log into the <institute> Earth System Grid gateway using either your <institute> account or an ESGF OpenID" with links to appropriate forms.

(2)    Change the title to "Login to <institute> Earth System Grid gateway"

Cheers,
Martin