[Whi] campaign for WHI?

whi at mailman.ucar.edu whi at mailman.ucar.edu
Thu Jan 17 10:39:43 MST 2008

Dear Sarah and Barb,

Maybe we are too late to become involved in WHI, but I think we have
a project that might fit in. The project is to look at structure in
the solar wind coordinated with structure on the sun. The temporal
structures of interest in the solar wind have timescales of about _
hour as they sweep past ACE and Wind; the structures on the sun are
magnetic-carpet filaments about the size of solar granules.

Nick Arge and I are going to propose for telescope time for a number
of simultaneous observations of a small region of the sun, the
Earth's footpoint. The idea is to coordinate analysis of
magnetic-carpet observations, granulation observations, etc. with
observations of the solar wind that came from that region. The
footpoint location will be determined just prior to the telescope
observations by the Wang-Sheeley-Arge method. We are thinking of
Hinode, Trace, EIT high resolution, MDI, ground-based observation of
the photosphere, ground-based helium observations, and GONG. And
surely there are other observations that will be helpful.

We are planning to propose for about 5 observing intervals that are
separated from each other by at least a day. We have not decided how
long the intervals need to be (probably depends on the instrument),
but 2 hours or less is anticipated.

If you think we can fit into the WHI organization, please let us
know. Being a part of WHI would be a great help to our project.

          Take care,

                    Joe