[Tgcmgroup] tempest decomm

Ben Foster foster at hao.ucar.edu
Thu Apr 3 10:50:03 MDT 2008

Dear tgcmgroup, correction:

Sorry, Astrid points out that the tempest decomm
has been delayed, see below..

--B

Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:46:28 -0600
From: Astrid Maute <maute at ucar.edu>
To: Ben Foster <foster at hao.ucar.edu>
Subject: Re: [Tgcmgroup] tempest decomm

Ben,
it was delayed.

Astrid

      Tempest Decommsion Update

        Thursday 04/03/08

We are going to delay the decommission of Tempest while we work to move
the /fis file systems to a location that is accessible by the new
systems. Once this is complete, we will announce a new decommission date.

Two new systems, gale.scd.ucar.edu and breeze.scd.ucar.edu, are
currently available for data analysis work. Together these systems have
twice the memory of Tempest and current /ptmp quotas are 150GB, more
than twice that of Tempest. An additional two systems, gust.scd.ucar.edu
and hail.scd.ucar.edu, will be added to the cluster in the next few weeks.

We are working to more tightly intergrate with the supercomputing
resources as the installation of Bluefire approaches. These systems have
direct GPFS access to the /ptmp file system on Blueice and all the
divisional file systems.

Tempest's user home directory will be retained for six months following
the decommission. Users will need to request their home directory within
those six months, and specify the CISL machine where they want the
tarball placed (breeze, gale etc). /ptmp files will "NOT" be backed up.
Users must save needed /ptmp files themselves by logging on to Tempest
and copying via scp to gale or breeze etc.

Other, detailed information is available from the getting started
section on the main page of the DASG web site.

http://www.cisl.ucar.edu/hss/dasg/

If you have further questions, please submit a Trouble Ticket and we'll
be happy to answer what we can.