[Nsa] Scientific Appointments Modernization: Process

Matthew Long mclong at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 8 17:57:07 MST 2020

Dear NSA,
As you may recall, there is an effort underway to develop a new
UCAR Workforce Management Plan (WMP). One theme in the context of this
effort is to "re-structure scientific appointments." This theme has been
termed Scientific Appointments Modernization (SAM). The NSA-EC met with
Everette Joseph and Scott McIntosh yesterday to discuss the process for
SAM.

Everette shared with us the attached slides. In summary, the intention for
the SAM effort is to form a "co-design" committee tasked with
facilitating stakeholder engagement and developing recommendations.
Scientific staff will have an opportunity to self-nominate to join this
committee in the coming weeks. The slides provide additional details. The
expectation is that the committee will take about a year to develop their
recommendations.

Everette has asked that NSA-EC provide feedback on this process. Our
primary response thus far has been to emphasize the importance of
transparency throughout—this feedback was positively received. We will
formalize additional feedback in writing this week. A particular important
question: What attributes should the SAM effort seek to optimize?

To facilitate open discussion across the NSA, I have opened a new topic on
our Discourse site:

https://discourse-nsa.ucar.edu/t/scientific-appointments-modernization-process/56

In order to view this topic, you must create an account on
discourse-nsa.ucar.edu with a @ucar.edu email address. Access to the "NCAR
Institution" category is restricted; other parts of the site are public.

We feel that it is critical for the NSA to engage and feel a sense of
ownership over this process. Please consider joining the discussion.

As always, feel free to reach out the NSA-EC.

Matt Long
on behalf of the NSA-EC
<https://internal-ncar.ucar.edu/nsa/nsa-executive-committee>
Matthew Long