[Nsa] NSA-EC meeting with NCAR-EC

Matthew Long mclong at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 21 08:00:00 MDT 2020

Dear NSA,
The NSA-EC has been discussing how to re-invigorate the NSA. The NSA's
mission <https://internal-ncar.ucar.edu/nsa> is as follows.

> The NCAR Scientists' Assembly (NSA) exists to foster a community of mutual
> respect and cooperation within NCAR/UCAR, to facilitate effective scientist
> participation in the management of NCAR, to facilitate scientific
> interaction across NCAR/UCAR, to enhance communication in matters of
> concern to NCAR scientists and management, to engage NCAR scientists'
> skills in the guidance of NCAR’s programs, and to advise NCAR management
> and UCAR governance concerning scientific policy and related matters
> affecting the institution.

Members of the NSA-EC will meet with the NCAR Executive Committee on
Tuesday, on invitation by Everette. We will attempt to articulate a vision
of the culture and type of institution we think the NSA stands for. We will
express ideas for better ways to fulfill our mission, including working
more closely with management to enable greater staff engagement in
decisions. Everette has expressed strong interest in working with us in
this way.

In preparation for the Tue meeting, we would like to solicit your input.
Please consider the following questions.

(1) What is the most important thing we should communicate to the NCAR EC?

(2) What could the NSA do to better fulfill its mission?

Send your thoughts to Matt Long and Andy Newman, the NSA-EC co-chairs
(cc-ed) or your lab's NSA-EC representative. Responses will be kept
anonymous.

Sincerely,

NSA-EC <https://internal-ncar.ucar.edu/nsa/nsa-executive-committee>

Matthew Long

Schedule a meeting with me: calendly.com/matt-long

Scientist II, Oceanography Section
Climate and Global Dynamics Laboratory
303.497.1311 (W)
650.575.7784 (M)