[Nsa] Invitation for NCAR Scientist Assembly members to attend all-staff Workforce Summit

Scott Briggs sbriggs at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 6 14:03:31 MDT 2020

Empowering Our Workforce: All-staff summits to help shape our future

Looking into the future, NCAR/UCAR faces unprecedented changes in the
environmental, social, political, and technological areas that impact our
work leading and facilitating Earth system science (ESS) for a better world.

A team drawn from across the organization is taking a close look at what
our workforce needs will be within the next 10 years to ensure NCAR/UCAR
remains a strong and relevant influencer in the global ESS community.

The team is building a 10-year Workforce Management Plan that will answer
several fundamental questions, including:

   -

   What types of skills will be most important to keep NCAR/UCAR relevant
   in our fields (and how do we help staff develop them)?
   -

   What experiential backgrounds do we need in our workforce (and how do we
   recruit them)?
   -

   How can we strengthen our position as community leaders not only in
   research, but also in promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace
   and creating a modern, welcoming environment that attracts and retains the
   best talent?
   -

   What organizational components will empower our workforce?

We want the plan to meet the needs of both current and future employees
throughout their careers, from onboarding through legacy planning and
retirement.
Three upcoming virtual summits to gather staff input

You may have responded to our future needs survey or engaged in one of our
many workforce planning sessions last year. To continue engaging staff in
this process, we are holding a series of three all-staff summits in late
August and early September to gather input that will guide implementation
strategies for the plan..

Each virtual summit will be led by Gurudev Khalsa
<https://www.trebuchetgroup.com/gurudev-khalsa>, whom many staff know for
his lively and skillful facilitation of the all-staff Diversity Summits.

All staff will receive the current draft of the plan ahead of time, and any
staff member, regardless of their career stage, may participate in any of
the summits (and may register for more than one).

Summit Details:

All three virtual summits will cover the same topics and follow the same
agenda, but each one will approach the topics from the perspective of a
different career stage:

   -

   Early-Career Workforce Summit: August 26, 1-5 p.m. Register via Workday:
   Early Career
   <https://wd5.myworkday.com/ucar/d/inst/15$369528/15972$59.htmld>
   -

   Mid-Career Workforce Summit: August 31, 1-5 p.m. Register via Workday:
   Mid-Career
   <https://wd5.myworkday.com/ucar/d/inst/15$370556/15972$60.htmld>
   -

   Late-Career Workforce Summit: September 3, 1-5 p.m. Register via
   Workday: Late Career
   <https://wd5.myworkday.com/ucar/d/inst/15$370556/15972$61.htmld>

Because many factors other than years of experience can play a role in
determining an individual’s career stage, the Workforce Management team has
chosen to not define the stages and instead asks participants to
self-identify.

Register today to assure your spot, using the links above.

Questions? Reach out to Sue Brundege, ext 8719, brundege at ucar.edu

--
Scott Briggs
Administrator