[Nsa] Comments on draft strategic plan

Guy Brasseur brasseur at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 16 10:01:56 MDT 2019

The same remarks as those presented by Jorgen have been made by many others.

I think that the issue can be easily addressed. The plan must be attractive to external stakeholders as well as to NCAR staff. External stakeholders need to understand that, in the present environment (e.g., responding to the environmental and climate crisis, proposing solutions), a research institution like NCAR remains relevant. Thus, we have to address the right problems and show that these problems require the kind of science for which we are expert.

At the same time, it is important that the scientists at NCAR feel ownership of the plan. My suggestion is that we add one or two boxes that translate the high level objectives into more explicit research goals that we can produce.  This should appear in the strategic plan, not in an implementation plan. But this topics cannot be just a list. Their strategic relevance must be highlighted.

Guy

Sent from my iPhone