[Nsa] Comments on draft strategic plan

Rolando Garcia rgarcia at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 16 11:07:25 MDT 2019

Dear Jorgen,

I agree with your point that the S.P. appears so generic and unspecific
that it strikes one as meaningless. Certainly, this first impression is
shared by most working scientists I have discussed the matter with, and it
was in fact brought up in our discussion of the S.P. (at ACOM) last Friday.

On the other hand, I don’t know that we need to be paranoid about ulterior
motives. I happen to know some of the folks who worked on the S.P. and I am
confident that their motives do not run in that direction.

I think the question that needs to be asked (and thanks for bringing it up)
is why the S.P. of a major FFRDC is so redolent of bureaucratese and
appears, on the surface at least, to have no science in it. I hope the
answer is not “because that is what the funding agencies expect these
days”, but it might be.

Best,

R.

On September 13, 2019 at 1:58:27 PM, Jorgen Jensen via Nsa (