[Nsa] Comments on draft strategic plan

Jorgen Jensen jbj at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 16 08:38:00 MDT 2019

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

We certainly both (all) want the best for NCAR; the question is how.  I
accept that there are no hidden agendas.  I was too rash in assigning
motive.  I am sorry for that.

But at the end of the day, the net result is still:

In the balance between a public strategic plan and its associated internal
implementation plan,  the current draft strategic plan (because of its lack
of detail) thoroughly pushes the power into the implementation plan.  That
is, I believe, unprecedented and not good for NCAR.

Is it difficult to describe in coarse-grained detail the organization’s
future work? Absolutely.  But from looking at old strategic plans, it has
been done by all prior strategic planning groups that I am aware of.

Is it an imperfect process? Yes.

Should it be done? Here I come down on the side of an emphatic yes.

With kind regards, Jorgen