[ncl-talk] Question on blending two datasets for merged analysis

Andrew Kren - NOAA Federal andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 6 19:49:57 MDT 2022

Hi there,

This question may not have an answer. I have not been able to find an
answer online so I thought I would ask.

I have an irregular set of data of 1D lat/lon data of some variable, call
it precipitation observations from metar sites. I regrid this data using
ESMF onto a 0.1 degree grid as similar in NCL examples. This works fine,
but at the edges, as expected, there is no data so the contour plot is
sharp/jagged (see attached figure). I would like to merge this regridded
data with an observational precipitation dataset, call it grib files of
AHPS precipitation, over a similar period.

My question is, is there a way to merge these two datasets to get a blended
analysis so that the resulting contour analysis is smooth and defined in
all counties?

Andrew Kren
Meteorologist
NOAA's National Weather Service