[ncl-talk] compute PV on hybrid levels on a regular global grid with function pot_vort_hybrid; weird, fluctuating values toward the poles

De Vries Andries andries.devries at env.ethz.ch
Tue May 10 06:17:04 MDT 2022

Dear NCL Team / Dear Dennis,

If still possible, I would like to follow up on a previous correspondence. Previously, I encountered a problem, the so-called Gibbs effect or ringing, in potential vorticity (PV) fields computed with the NCL function "pot_vort_hybrid" using CERA-20C data on a regular grid (u, v, and temp on hybrid levels and surface pressure). This issue does not appear when using data on a Gaussian grid. Since this issue re-appeared in the same computation using the ERA5 data on a 0.5 degree regular grid (see attached plot, left panel), I looked again into this issue, and wanted to ask your brief advice / opinion.

In your previous writing, you suggested that the ECMWF transformation from spherical harmonics to the regular grid may introduce this Gibbs effect. Currently, I am in touch with ECMWF about this issue, and they suspected exactly the same reason for the Gibbs effect appearing. They suggested an alternative setting in the retrieval script for ERA5 data will avoid spectral truncation of the data that can give rise to the Gibbs effect.

A long story short: this suggestion plus a few other trails in different data formats didnt help, and the Gibbs effect remains in the PV fields.

However, I did find two different ways when the Gibbs effect didn't appear and the PV fields looked perfectly fine: (i) if I download ERA5 data at a Gaussian grid and then interpolate it to a regular grid using the cdo command "remapbil" and (ii) if I compute PV reading in source data at a regular grid but only from latitudes -89.5 to + 89.5, i.e., excluding the latitude arrays at -90 and +90 degrees (see attached plot, right panel). Note that the interpolated data by cdo under (i) also has a latitude array from -89.75 to +89.75, ie. has no latitude array at -90 and +90. So it seems that the ringing effect appears when PV is computed from source data on a regular grid with having latitude arrays at -90 and +90. Does this make sense? Is there an obvious reason for the Gibbs ringing disappearing when omitting data at the lat -90 & +90 degrees?

By finding out the above, an easy work-around is at hand: computing PV from -89.5 to +89.5 and adding longitudinally averaged PV from -89.5 (+89.5) to the -90 (+90) latitude array. Still I thought it could be helpful to understand this issue as to why it arise, and to make sure it doesn't affect the data I use.

Any help is appreciated! Many thanks!

Best,

Andries