[ncl-talk] Potential Vorticity terms

Lyndz olagueralyndonmark429 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 10:22:59 MDT 2022

Dear NCL-experts,

I saw this function/tutorial for calculating the Potential vorticity from
the NCL webpage.

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/pot_vort.shtml#:~:text=There%20are%20two%20potential%20vorticity,static%20stability%20and%20potential%20temperature
.

I would like to compute for the Potential Vorticity Tendency (PVT) on an
isobaric level and global rectilinear grid reanalysis.

According to the attached file, PVT can be decomposed into
PVT= B* [ horizontal Advection + vertical advection + diabatic heating +
friction ]

I can compute for the horizontal advection using this:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/advect_variable.shtml

My problem is how to calculate the diabatic heating here. Any suggestions
on how I can do this in NCL?

-Lyndz