[ncl-talk] Potential Vorticity terms

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 28 14:08:07 MDT 2022

Sometime ago, I  created a test diabatic heating function. I  can not
remember why I did not make it public. Possibly because doing so required
extensive testing, writing documentation and support. My guess is that I
just did not have the time.  Sorry about that!
======
See:  *https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wind.shtml*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wind.shtml>

  Q1Q2_yanai.ncl
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/Q1Q2_yanai_1.ncl>

Read the text for this example.  The 'Q1' term represents the total
diabatic heating.
*Maybe* this will be helpful.    Sorry, I can not offer more support.
----
Also: see Walter Hannah's page: "*A Comparison of Methods for Estimating
Diabatic Heating*"

*http://hannahlab.org/a-comparison-of-methods-for-estimating-diabatic-heating/*
<http://hannahlab.org/a-comparison-of-methods-for-estimating-diabatic-heating/>

He used NCL scripts. I am not sure if these are still available.

Good Luck