[ncl-talk] Calculating ratio of two 5 year blocks

Herb, Jason jherb at albany.edu
Tue Sep 1 05:58:56 MDT 2020

Hello All,

I have a script that will do the average of two different five-year blocks (2002,2003,2004,2005,2006) and (2015,2016,2017,2018,2019) for each month of the year. Once I have the monthly averages, I attempt to calculate the ratio for each month of the (02-06) and (15-19) data. Now the issue that i am running into is that for the months dec, jan, feb, mar, and apr the ratio mapping show the entire grid tile that covers NYS as a "constant field - value is 0." I know this cannot be the case, given areas of are likely to have data during these time frames (while expecting to have mountain locations to have completely missing data due to constant snowpack). Now when I compute the averages for say the years 02-06 for the month January it will show an average value for various locations. I also tried to completely puzzled with this result that I am getting for these months as the rest of the months of the year show normal mapping without issue and these warmer months also use the same script. Code is attached. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason