[ncl-talk] Error trying to make a simple pie chart

Michele Petrini - CITG M.Petrini at tudelft.nl
Tue Sep 1 08:45:16 MDT 2020

Dear helpdesk,

I am contacting you as I am trying to make a simple pie chart and there is something strange happening;

when I run this code

color=(/"lightskyblue","brown1"/)
name=(/"Accumulation","Ablation"/)
percent=(/10.0,90.0/)

pcRes   = True
pcRes at gsnMaximize     = True
pcRes at tiMainString    = areas(i)+": average years "+ystartavg+"-"+yendavg   ; Sector Label is default
piechart    = pie_chart(wks2, percent, name, color, pcRes)

I get the following error:

fatal:Number of subscripts do not match number of dimensions of variable,(2) Subscripts used, (1) Subscripts expected
fatal:["Execute.c":8637]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4172 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/shea_util.ncl

I went to look at line 4172 in shea_util.ncl and what I’m reading is

—
4172      pgRes at gsFillColor   =  colors(n,:)          ; fill with associated color
4173      plotPC@$unique_string("dum")$ = gsn_add_polygon (wks, plotPC, xx, yy, pgRes)  ; color fill
4174      plotPC@$unique_string("dum")$ = gsn_add_polyline(wks, plotPC, xx, yy, plRes)  ; outline
4175
4176      gsRes at gsMarkerColor = colors(n,:)           ; associate marker
—

If I replace colors(n,:) with colors(n) in the lines above, the script does work fine.

I am still wondering whether there is something wrong in my code - although I am using the very same code as in pie_chart_2.ncl (https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/pie_chart_2.ncl) - or there is a bug in shea_util.ncl.

Thanks!

Michele

Michele Petrini, PhD

Department of Geoscience and Remote Sensing, TUDelft
Delft, The Netherlands

M.Petrini at tudelft.nl<mailto:M.Petrini at tudelft.nl>
+39 3398367372
michele.petrins (Skype alias)