[ncl-talk] Error subscript when using indices output from dim_pqsort to reorder another array

Rashed Mahmood rashidcomsis at gmail.com
Fri May 29 03:42:50 MDT 2020

Hi Huiping,
I think in this case the following should work, note that your ip variable
has dimensions [2,3] as you can see from the print statements:

y(0,:)=y(0,ip(0,:))
y(1,:)=y(1,ip(1,:))

However, I guess this is not what you are trying to do for your original
array of (time,nlat,nlon,nlev)?
If, for example "data" is a variable name with sizes (ntime,nlat,nlon,nlev)
and you want to sort out according to time dimension, you can do something
as:

data_new = *dim_pqsort_n*(data,*-2*,0)  ; read documentation about the option -2

NOTE that this will sort out your "data" variable in decreasing order.

See the documentation for different of sorting in descending/ascending
order.
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/dim_pqsort_n.shtml

hope that helps,
Cheers,
Rashed

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 3:49 PM YAN HUIPING via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu>
wrote:

> [...]
>> Type: float
>> Total Size: 31948800 bytes
>>             7987200 values
>> Number of Dimensions: 4
>> Dimensions and sizes: [time | 12] x [lat | 160] x [lon | 320] x [LEV |
>> 13]
>> Coordinates:
>>             time: [20160116.875..20161216.875]
>>             lat: [89.14151942646112..-89.14151942646112]
>>             lon: [   0..358.875]
>>             LEV: [107500..5000]
>> Number Of Attributes: 7
>>   _FillValue : 1e+20
>>   institution : MPIMET
>>   cell_methods : time: mean
>>   table : 128
>>   code : 130
>>   units : K
>>   long_name : pressure
>>
>> Variable: ip
>> Type: integer
>> Total Size: 31948800 bytes
>>             7987200 values
>> Number of Dimensions: 4
>> Dimensions and sizes: [12] x [160] x [320] x [13]
>> Coordinates:
>> (0) min=0   max=12
>> (0) 12
>> (1) 160
>> (2) 320
>> (3) 13
>> fatal:Illegal subscript. Subscripts must be scalar or one dimensional
>> vectors
>>
>> ====================
>>
>> Y has the same dimensions as X ([time | 12] x [lat | 160] x [lon | 320]
>> x [LEV | 13]). And there is no missing value in X, but Y has some.
>>

>> Thus, I think there are some bugs here. Could you please help me look
>> into it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Huiping
>>

>> On May 29, 2020, at 1:21 AM, Dennis Shea <shea at ucar.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Whenever you encounter an error, you should add print statements to help
>> you debug the issue.
>>
>>   printVarSummary(x)                         ; overview of source variable
>>   print("-----")                                       ; visual break
>>
>>   ip = dim_pqsort(x,-2)                          ;; descending order
>>   printVarSummary(ip)
>>   prinyMinMax(ip, 0)
>>   print("-----")
>>
>>   dim_ip = dimsizes(ip)
>>   print(dim_ip)
>>   print("-----")
>>
>>    y=y(ip,:,:,:)
>> =============================
>> Are there grid locations that contain all missing values?
>>

>> On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 6:36 PM YAN HUIPING via ncl-talk <
>> ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I am using the function dim_pqsort to reorder an array with dimensions
>>> of (time,nlat, nlon, nlev) following the instructions
>>> https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/dim_pqsort.shtml
>>>
>>> ip=dim_pqsort(x,-2);; descending order
>>>
>>> However, there are error messages: “fatal:Illegal subscript. Subscripts
>>> must be scalar or one dimensional vectors”.

>>> Huiping