[ncl-talk] sum of some dimension of an array

ABDULLA SAKALLI abdulla.sakalli at iste.edu.tr
Mon May 11 07:06:42 MDT 2020

Dear Lists,
I’ve two arrays that I should compare them and add the value of the second array where the first array match some conditions.
The array one is:
Variable: veg
Type: integer
Total Size: 1036800 bytes
            259200 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes:	[360] x [720]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 1
  _FillValue :	-2147483647

The array two is:
Variable: nwp
Type: double
Total Size: 74649600 bytes
            9331200 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes:	[time | 36] x [lat | 360] x [lon | 720]
Coordinates:
            time: [183.5..12967]
            lat: [-89.5..90]
            lon: [-179.5..180]
Number Of Attributes: 4
  units :	mm
  _FillValue :	-9999
  missing_value :	-9999

The first array contains 31 vegetation types. I’d like to get the sum of the all nwp points classified according to the veg array.

My loop looks like:

do t=0,35
	z=0
	nw=0.
	do i=0,30
		z=z+1
		nv=where(veg.eq.z, doubletofloat(dim_sum_n(nwp,(/1,2/))), 0.)
		;nwpveg(t,i)=nv
		;print(z+" "+nv)
	end do
end do

by running the code I got the error messages
fatal:where: condition variable (parameter 0) dimension mismatch with parameter 1
fatal:["Execute.c":8637]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 77 in file ReadNcFiles-VegNr-0p5deg.ncl

Does anyone of you have an idea, how can I solve this problem? or better to say, how can I get the increment of the nwp array when the veg array equal to 1 to 31 one.

Best wishes,
Abdulla

Assoc. Prof. Abdulla Sakalli

Iskenderun Technical University
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Dept. Industrial Engineering
Merkez Kampus
Iskenderun-Hatay-Turkey
as at abdulla-sakalli.com