[ncl-talk] Regrid PRISM data to a low resolution rectilinear grid

Brandon Fisel bjfisel at gmail.com
Fri May 8 15:00:11 MDT 2020

Hello,

I am following the PRISM example (
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/prism_1.ncl) to read .bil
format PRISM data into NCL. There are no latitude or longitude variables
available to read from the .bil files.  I would like to regrid the PRISM
data to another rectilinear destination grid (~12km) using conservative
remapping.

Many of the examples show a source grid that is read in before the
regridding step.  I am not familiar with regridding from a grid that
supplies no lat/lon to another grid that does.  Below is an example of the
data written to netCDF with some additions.

dimensions:
        time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
        lat = 621 ;
        lon = 1405 ;
variables:
        double time(time) ;
                time:calendar = "standard" ;
                time:units = "days since 1955-01-01 00:00:00" ;
        float p(time, lat, lon) ;
                p:units = "mm day-1" ;
                p:missing_value = -9999.f ;
                p:_FillValue = -9999.f ;

Recent ESMF regrid attempts have resulted in: (0)     get_src_grid_info:
can't determine what type of source grid you have.

Is there a way I can specify the areal dimensions of the source grid, or
lat/lon corners as the source grid?