[ncl-talk] WRAPIT error: stdio.h: No such file or directory

Philippe Papin pppapin at gmail.com
Wed May 6 17:28:14 MDT 2020

Hi Rick and Dennis,

I believe I do have XCode developer tools on my Mac.

Ultimately I figured out the error was related to how newer versions of
MacOSX (I'm running v10.15.4 Catalina) store critical headers to compile C
programs. It turns out the <stdio.h> file was in another location on my
machine, rather than in */usr/local/lib* which is where the current version
of *gcc* I'm using is located.

To fix that, this stackoverflow thread helped (in particular setting this
option below):
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52509602/cant-compile-c-program-on-a-mac-after-upgrade-to-mojave

export
CPATH=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/

After that, WRAPIT was able to compile the fortran program properly!

(base) Philippes-MacBook-Pro:test pppapin$ WRAPIT ex.f

WRAPIT Version: 120209

COMPILING ex.f

LINKING

END WRAPIT

Hope this can be a useful guide for people who run into the same issues
trying to use WRAPIT on a Mac.

-Philippe

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 7:45 AM Rick Brownrigg <brownrig at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you installed the XCode developer tools on your mac?
>
> Rick
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:54 AM Philippe Papin via ncl-talk <
> ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi NCL talk,
>>
>> I've been running into issues using WRAPIT on a version 6.6.2 of NCL
>> loaded on my Mac. Just trying to use the troubleshooting example in
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/WRAPIT.shtml#TroubleShooting gave
>> me this curious error below
>>
>> (base) Philippes-MacBook-Pro:test pppapin$ WRAPIT ex.f
>>

>> WRAPIT Version: 120209
>>
>> *WRAPIT.c:4:10:* *fatal error: *stdio.h: No such file or directory
>>
>>  #include *<stdio.h>*
>>
>>           *^~~~~~~~~*
>>
>> compilation terminated.
>>
>> COMPILING ex.f
>>
>> LINKING
>>
>> *gcc:* *error: *WRAPIT.o: No such file or directory
>>
>> rm: WRAPIT.o: No such file or directory
>>
>> END WRAPIT
>>

>> *My information:*
>>

>> (base) Philippes-MacBook-Pro:test pppapin$ uname -a
>>
>> Darwin Philippes-MacBook-Pro.local 19.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 19.4.0:
>> Wed Mar  4 22:28:40 PST 2020; root:xnu-6153.101.6~15/RELEASE_X86_64
>> x86_64
>>

>> (base) Philippes-MacBook-Pro:test pppapin$ gcc --version
>>
>> gcc (GCC) 7.1.0
>>
>> Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>

>> (base) Philippes-MacBook-Pro:test pppapin$ ncl -V
>>
>> 6.6.2
>>
>> Dennis Shea last year showed a simple example of WRAPIT failing with a
>> similar error message with a similar setup:
>> http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/ncl-talk/2019-June/015029.html
>>
>> Any reason for why this error comes up? Is this a gcc compiler issue? Any
>> help is appreciated!
>> -Philippe
>>
>> --

Philippe P. Papin, Ph.D.
NRC Research Associate
Global Modeling Division
Naval Research Laboratory - Monterey, CA
http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/