[ncl-talk] Using wrf_vector in vertical cross section

Jim Means jim at weatherextreme.com
Mon May 4 18:04:05 MDT 2020

Hello ncl-talk,

I am trying to make "circulation vectors" in a vertical cross section,
akin to what RIP does.  I am using wrf_vector with either u and w (for
W-E cross sections) or v and w (for N-S cross sections). The
documentation for wrf_vector specifically talks about using both u- and
v-components of the wind (not w), but it seems to be working for me. Is
there any pitfall with doing this that I need to be aware of?

Also, if that works and I want to make an oblique cross section, would
the easiest thing to do be to find the magnitude of the vector sum of
the u and v-components and then project that into the vertical plane
using the cosine of the angle?

Thanks,

Jim

James D. Means, Ph.D.