[ncl-talk] wrf_user_getvar - select time period

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 18 09:20:49 MDT 2020

Unfortunately,  that 'custom script' has disappeared.

[1] If the variable is on the file, then you can read it directly. If there
are (say) 25 time steps but you only want 5 specified times,then:

     it = ispan(7,11,1)
     u = f->U(it,:,:,:)

     even

    it = (/3,7,8,9,21/)
    u = f->U(it,:,:,:)

[2] I **speculate**  that what was done was something like the following

undef("wrf_user_getvar_time_subset")
function wrf_user_getvar_time_subset(f, varName[1]:string, it[*]:integer)
local nit, dims, rank, n, x
begin
   nit     = dimsizes(it)
   dims = getfilevardimsizes(f,varName)
   rank  = dimsizes(dims)
   if (rank.eq.3) then
       x = new((/nit,dims(1),dims(2)/),"float")
       do n=0,nit-1
          x(n,:,:) = wrf_user_getvar(f,varName,it(n))
       end do
   elseif (rank.eq.4) then
       x = new((/nit,dims(1),dims(2),dims(3)/),"float")
       do n=0,nit-1
          x(n,:,:,:) = wrf_user_getvar(f, varName, it(n))
       end do
   end if

   x!0 = "Time"
   return(x)
end

   dirwrf = "./"
   filwrf = "wrfout_d01_000000.nc"
   pthwrf = dirwrf+filwrf
   fwrf   = addfile(pthwrf,"r")

   it     = (/3,7,8,9,21/)
   varName= "U"

   u      =  wrf_user_getvar_time_subset(fwrf, varName, it)
   printVarSummary(u)