[ncl-talk] Issue with creating a bar chart plot

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Sun Jun 7 15:41:21 MDT 2020

It is only the horizontal axis that needs to be monotonically increasing.
That is probably what the error message is about.  Naturally, the vertical
access may fluctuate anywhere.  You might want to check the values of
x_axis in your code to see if they make sense.

Meanwhile, you should be able to insert a quick fix for x_axis with
temporary arrays, something like this.  This assumes that x_axis is
strictly decreasing rather than increasing.  If you change the order, then
you must also change the order for the vertical axis data, in the same
way.  X and Y values are supposed to form ordered pairs to make the bar
chart.

xplot = x_axis(::-1)
yplot = tolong (temperature_top(i,23:0:-1))
plot = gsn_csm_xy (wks, xplot, yplot, res)

I have no idea what changed to cause a newer NCL version to change from the
original behavior.