[ncl-talk] Issue with creating a bar chart plot

Andrew Kren - NOAA Affiliate andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Sun Jun 7 13:57:03 MDT 2020

Dear ncl-talk,

I upgraded my NCL to the latest version. Previously I was using version
6.5. When I upgraded, one of my ncl codes no longer runs successfully but
creates an error code. I am creating a bar chart with gsn_csm_xy. I
originally did not get these errors so I am unsure what could be going on.
I tried to debug the issue but to no avail. Here are my errors:

(0) get_bar_widths: Warning: The bar width(s) you selected (0.75) is larger
than the smallest delta (-11).

(0) Defaulting to -11.

(0) get_bar_arrays: Fatal: The array is not monotonically increasing.

(0) Cannot draw a bar chart.

fatal:Illegal right-hand side type for assignment

I checked that my array I am plotting has all correct values, and it does.
I didn't know a bar chart had to have monotonically increasing values. Is
there a way around this?

The code where it fails is below, in the call to plot.

plot = gsn_csm_xy(wks,x_axis,tolong(temperature_top(i,0:23)),res)

Andrew Kren
Meteorologist
US Dept of Commerce
National Weather Service Raleigh, NC