[ncl-talk] Removing some data from NetCDF file for a specific date

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 17 10:34:04 MST 2020

As noted by DaveA, the question is ambiguous.
The following will set the times times by the user. to _FillValue
Sine _FillValue are not used in any computation, this is similar to
'removing' the times from the variable.

      ymd_exclude = (/19830131, 19850202, 19890610/) ; times to remove

   diri = "./"      ; input directory
      fili = "model.nc"
      f = *addfile*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfile.shtml>(diri+fili,
"r")

      x = f->X
      printVarSummary(x)

     ymd  = *cd_calendar*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/cd_calendar.shtml>(x&time,
-2)         ; yyyymmdd ... all ymd in file
     nt_exclude       = *get1Dindex_Exclude*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/get1Dindex_Exclude.shtml>(ymd,
ymd_exclude)
     x(nt_exclude,...) = x at _FillValue          ; set all remove time
to _FillValue

                                                                 ;
size of 'x' unchanged

======

Alternatively, actually remove the 'ymd_exclude' times from the variable.

The size of the array wil change.

     nt_collapse  = *get1Dindex_Collapse*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/get1Dindex_Collapse.shtml>(ymd,
ymd_exclude)
     x *:=* x(nt_collapse,...)                          ; note use of
'reassignment' operator [ *:=* ]
     printVarSummary(x)                            ; note change of size
=======

Other useful index utility functions

*get1Dindex* <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/get1Dindex.shtml>,
*ind* <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/ind.shtml>