[ncl-talk] Trough Axis

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 10 12:46:50 MST 2020

There is no NCL function "to find out the position of the trough." This is
complicated. See:
   *Objective Identification of Trough Lines Using Gridded Wind Field Data*
<https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4433/8/7/121>
====
*http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml>

If **you** know the lat/lon locations

 res           = True                    ; plot mods desired
 res at gsnDraw   = False                   ; don't draw yet
 res at gsnFrame  = False                   ; don't advance yet

 res@ ... other resources

;---Resources for the polyline
 plres                  = True           ; polyline mods desired
 plres at gsLineThicknessF = 2.0            ; line thickness
 plres at gsLineColor      = "blue"         ; color of line

; create points for trough line
 lat_trough = (/ ...... /)  ; multiple points
 lon_trough = (/ ...... /)

 plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,...,res)     ; create the create the
 trough_line = gsn_add_polyline(wks,plot, lon_trough ,lat_trough ,plres)
 draw(plot)
 frame(wks)