[ncl-talk] grib2 to netcdf

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Sun Apr 12 07:46:48 MDT 2020

HI,

addfiles() returns a *list* of filevars, whereas getfilevarnames expects a
filevar. If you know all the files to be uniform in structure, you could
simple pick one of them, say the first, to get the names:

    names = getfilevarnames(f[0])

Also, see the docs for addfiles():

http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfiles.shtml

It has this advice:

- 1. Whereas *addfile*
<http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfile.shtml> returns a
reference to a single file in a variable of type *file*, *addfiles* returns
a variable of type *list* that contains references, each of type *file*, to
multiple files. This combination of the *list* and *file* types forms a
specialized *list* type. It provides a means of obtaining the aggregated
contents of variables that span the complete list of files.

- 2. It is not yet possible to use the file *list* type variable as input
to the "getfile*xxxx*" suite of functions. However, since each element of
the *list* is actually a *file* type variable, you can input a single
element of the *list* as an argument to any of these functions, e.g.:

  files = *systemfunc*
<http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/systemfunc.shtml>("ls
*.nc")
  f = *addfiles*(files,"r")