[ncl-talk] Ncl installation

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 23 14:10:45 MDT 2019

Hi,

I'm not certain. With regards to the memory error, are you working with a
really large dataset?  Or on a memory constrained machine?

With regard to the first error, there is at least one 3rd party packager of
an NCL distribution that puts things in some odd places, namely /usr/share.
I'm not sure what all gets placed there, but as you can see from the error
messages, ncl expects to find its library scripts under
..../lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm, and I'll bet if you look under /usr/lib (or
perhaps /usr/lib64), you'll see a "ncarg" directory.  Again, I don't know
what gets placed under /usr/share/ncarg, so I'm not sure fixing the
situation is as simple as pointing NCARG_ROOT=/usr/lib

I would recommend uninstalling that version, and reinstall from an official
distribution, either via conda or tarball. I would also encourage you to
take the opportunity to use the latest version, which is v6.6.2:

http://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/

Good luck!
Rick