[ncl-talk] The number of bin sizes in pdf

Sri.durgesh Nandini-Weiss sri.durgesh.nandini-weiss at uni-hamburg.de
Mon Nov 25 06:56:57 MST 2019

Hello everyone,

I plotted a few probability distributions of hist and RCP4.5 changes for
sea level, with different bin numbers to test out the results. The
choice of the bin numbers (e.g. 40 or 100) affects the interpretation of
the results.

Can someone tell me the difference or the proper method to estimate the
bin numbers (or better to avoid this by fitting the data to a cumulative
distribution curve e.g. CDF?)

I can apply a kernel smoothing function on the distribution but i'm not
sure how the results are changed further.

Sri

--
Dr. Sri Nandini-Weiß
Research Scientist

Universität Hamburg
Center for Earth System Research and Sustainability (CEN)
Cluster of Excellence 'Climate, Climatic Change, and Society' (CLICCS)

Bundesstrasse 53, 20146 Hamburg
Tel: +49 (0) 40 42838 7472