[ncl-talk] ESMF

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon May 20 12:27:10 MDT 2019

The error messages are not directly from NCL.
Rather, they are from the Fortran-90 code used by the underlying ESMF
software invoked by NCL.

---
20190519 172019.181 ERROR            PET0 ESMF_IOScrip.*F90*:1322
*ESMF_OutputScripWeightFile
*netCDF Status Return Error
20190519 172019.181 ERROR            PET0
ESMF_RegridWeightGen.*F90*:1395 *ESMF_RegridWeightGenFile
*Failure - Internal subroutine call returned Error
---

I **speculate** that the weight file may exceed a size limit.

*esmf_regrid*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/ESMF/ESMF_regrid.shtml>

As noted in the function documentation:

*SrcNetCDFType* / *DstNetCDFType* / *WgtNetCDFType* (default = "netcdf3")

Set these options or "NetCDFType" to "netcdf4" to force a NetCDF-4 file to
be written for the source, destination, and/or weights files. This will be
necessary if your source and/or destination grids or meshes are large, and
require more than 2 GB to store them and/or the weights file in the NetCDF
file.  Try:

   opt at WgtFileName = "weights.nc"

   opt@*WgtNetCDFType* = "netcdf4"    *; <=======*

Good Luck

=== quote
The NetCDF files created by this function are written with "large file
support" turned on. This creates a "64-bit offset" NetCDF file under the
hood and allows you to write variables > 2 GB but less than 4 GB.

If you are working with large data files that require more than 4 GB, you
may need to set one or more of the NetCDFType
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/ESMF/ESMF_regrid.shtml#NetCDFType>
options to "netcdf4". This will force a NetCDF4 file to be written under
the hood and will allow you to write variables that are > 4 GB.

=== end quote

Try

*setfileoption*("nc","Format","NetCDF4")

prior to invoking the ESMF regrid function.