[ncl-talk] Question about the sign of shear deformation

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue May 7 15:02:47 MDT 2019

This could well be a matter of definition.  NCL does not include any
explicit negative (or positive) sign or coefficient (eg:  0.5).

*  shear  = dvdx + dudy  stretch= dudx - dvdy   deform = sqrt(shear^2 +
stretch^2)*

where the gradients are determined by spherical harmonics.

You can associate signs/coefficients to these terms  as you wish.

====
You have
; Stretch, deform, and total
;************************************************
  grdType = 1
  *cyclic  = False       ; <========  This should be True*
  opt_ssd = 0

  ssdList = shear_stretch_deform(u,v,u&lat,grdType,opt_ssd)

  stretch_sph = ssdList[0]
  shear_sph   = ssdList[1]
  deform_sph  = ssdList[2]
  delete(ssdList)

I don't think anyone wants to download a 600+MB file from the cloud.

Use the netCDF operator the extract the exact subset

*%>* *ncks* -O -d Time,tStrt,Tlast ncep_6h_jan.nc  NECP.deform.nc

where tStrt and tLast are the temporal index values of the specified time
interval.

===
The following is 'ok'.

  u   = f->U_GRD_2_ISBL(:,:,:,:)       ; pull u off file
  v   = f->V_GRD_2_ISBL(:,:,:,:)       ; pull v off file

However, when reading an entire array, it is more efficient to use the
following. You can indicate dimensionalit in comment

  u   = f->U_GRD_2_ISBL            ;         (:,:,:,:)       ; pull u off
file
  v   = f->V_GRD_2_ISBL             ;         (:,:,:,:)       ; pull v off
file

===
The following is superfluous

  lat = f->lat
  lon = f->lon

These coordinates are part of each variable's structure

   u&lat     ===> lat

===
What order are the variables? N-S or S-N ? The following reverses the order.