[ncl-talk] Color filled contour disappears with contour_shade pattern

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu May 2 11:03:23 MDT 2019

So my (very limited) understanding from the code you sent, you drew a
color-filled contour plot of the variable "rain", which was a time slice of
the variable precip from the file. Then you intended to use gsn_csm_shade
to hachure regions where rain was gt/lt .39/-.39 ?

This is speculation:

i) draw your color-filled plot as before

ii) mask out the rain variable for only the values you want:

   rain = where(rain.lt. .39 .and. rain.gt. -.39, rain at _FillValue, rain)

iii) redraw the rain variable with gsn_csm_contour_map as before, but using
cnFillPatterns instead of color

iv) overlay the two plots as in the coneff_14 example (this requires you
set res at gsnFrame = False and res at gsnDraw = False)

HTH...
Rick