[ncl-talk] ESMF_regrid using too much memory

Michael Toy - NOAA Affiliate michael.toy at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 25 16:19:19 MDT 2019

Hello,

I am trying to conservatively regrid from a 3km x 3km horizontal to grid to a 0.5deg x 0.5deg grid (both lat-lon grids).  The data is WRF model output.  The source (fine) grid dimensions are 2190 x 1330 grid points.  I’m looping over a number of times and vertical levels with masked data (I’m using the Opt at SrcGridMask attribute).  My script works fine for smaller domains, but with the computing resources I’m working on, I can’t get the large domain computed because the memory allocation is exceeded (20GB).  The largest array I have in my script is about 0.75GB in size (float).  It seems there’s a variable in the ESMF package that grows indefinitely, perhaps?

I’m attaching my NCL script.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Best regards,
Mike

—————————
Michael Toy
Research Scientist, Model Development Branch
NOAA Earth System Research Lab, GSD
325 Broadway, Boulder, Colorado
Michael.Toy at noaa.gov
+1-303-497-4061