[ncl-talk] Segmentation fault (core dumped) when mpDataBaseVersion = "HighRes", new NCL build on Ubuntu

Orestis Speyer ospeyer at meteo.noa.gr
Wed Mar 20 02:12:09 MDT 2019

Deal all,

I just installed NCL 6.4.0 through the Ubuntu Software in my desktop within
an Ubuntu virtual machine with 5GB of RAM.
I am trying to run a script (which runs successfully on a 4gb laptop, with a
virtual machine of 2GB of RAM) but I get a  Segmentation fault (core
dumped).
When I use mpDataBaseVersion = "LowRes" it works fine, although no colors
appear on my contour plot (the label bar has colours just fine).

Is it possible that I run out of memory for some reason beyond lack of
memory, a leak or something? I am suspicious of the new build. I followed
the rangs procedure for high resolution coastlines. I do not know if it's
important but the NCARG_ROOT is not set as in the default that I find in the
NCL site. My suspicion increases due to the lack of colour in the contour
(I'm using gsn_define_colormap(wks,"gui_default")).

To be on the safe side, in my script I load:
load "/usr/share/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "/usr/share/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "/usr/share/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
load "./shapefile_utils.ncl" ; This I need for shapefiles

I found a relative thread in the ncl-archive under "[ncl-talk]
mpDataBaseVersion ="HighRes" " but there was no solution therein.

Cheers and thanks for your time,

Orestis Speyer, MSc