[ncl-talk] libssl.so.1.1 problem when starting ncl

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 12 05:45:25 MDT 2019

Hi Liang

The libssl.so.1.1 is not on your system, or not on your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable.
Some possible reasons.

1) When you installed ncl from source you may not have noticed that it
didn't pass the link phase,
if libssl.so.1.1 was not there already.
2) You may have upgraded Linux CentOS since then, and a newer libssl may
have been installed.
3) It may be there, but not in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or in the linker
configuration search path.

You could try:
A) which ncl (to get the full path to ncl)
B) ldd /full/path/to/ncl  (to see which libraries it is linked to)
C) find / -name "libssl*" -print (to find any libssl you have)
D) yum list |grep ssl (to see if there is a "compat" package that provides
compatilbility with libssl.so.1.1,
if there is install it with "yum install". That would be needed if a newer
libsssl is installed)
E)  If libssl.so.1.1 is already there, add it to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
However, I suggest you check first your
initialization files (.bashrc, .bash_profile, .cshrc if you use tcsh, to
see if there is something messing up LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
which is a pretty common mistake).

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa