[ncl-talk] wrf reprojection using NCL (lambert<->lat-lon)

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 8 11:03:05 MST 2019

Your WRF netCDF file has the grid coordinates. The "projections"  are not
needed,

[1] Example 1
        float T_2m(time, *south_north, west_east*) ;
                T_2m:long_name = "Temperature at 2 m" ;
                T_2m:standard_name = "air_temperature" ;
                T_2m:units = "degC" ;
                T_2m:_FillValue = 1.e+20f ;
                T_2m:
*coordinates = "lon lat"    <====*

*        f*loat *lat*(*south_north, west_east*) ;
                lat:long_name = "Latitude" ;
                lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
                lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
        float *lon*(*south_north, west_east*) ;
                lon:long_name = "Longitude" ;
                lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
                lon:units = "degrees_east" ;

*---*
Example 2

float *T2*(Time,
* south_north, west_east) ;                T*2:FieldType = 104 ;
                T2:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;
                T2:description = "TEMP at 2 M" ;
                T2:units = "K" ;
                T2:stagger = "" ;

*                T2:coordinates = "XLONG XLAT XTIME" ;  <====*
*    f*loat *XLAT*(Time, *south_north, west_east*) ;
        XLAT:FieldType = 104 ;
        XLAT:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;
        XLAT:description = "LATITUDE, SOUTH IS NEGATIVE" ;
        XLAT:units = "degree" ;
        XLAT:stagger = "" ;
    float *XLONG*(Time, *south_north, west_east*) ;
        XLONG:FieldType = 104 ;
        XLONG:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;
        XLONG:description = "LONGITUDE, WEST IS NEGATIVE" ;
        XLONG:units = "degree" ;
        XLONG:stagger = "" ;

====
There are numerous NCL examples of regridding WFR coordinates [curvilinear
grid] to other coordinates. Generally, "observation-based" grid are
rectilinear.

*http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml>*