[ncl-talk] ECMWF variable: field values and geophysical contour position

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 7 13:24:59 MST 2019

[1] From an NCL perspective, there is *no need *to convert the Grib file to
netCDF. Read the Grib file directly within an NCL script.

  dirg   = "/Volumes/MyPassport/harmonie/Ophelia/output/"
  filg    = "fc2017100612+006.grb"
  pthg  = dirg+filg
  fg     = *addfile*(pthg,"r")
 ;print(fg)    ; same as:   ncl_filedump fc2017100612+006.grb

;---Extract desired variable

*  varName = "SHTFL_GDS3_HTGL_acc6h"  x     = fg->$varName$*

[2] As with WRF data which you used before, variable on curvilinear grids
must use

     x at lat2d = ....
     x at lon2d = ...

     See attached.

============
[3] If for some reason you want the *whole file* converted to netCDF, use:

*%>* *ncl_convert2nc*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/ncl_convert2nc.shtml>
fc2017100612+006.grb

If you want an explicit 'time' dimension, add the 'itime' option

*%>* *ncl_convert2nc*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/ncl_convert2nc.shtml>
fc2017100612+006.grb *-itime*

[3] If you want selected variable subset use:

%> *ncl_convert2nc *fc2017100612+006.grb -*v
SHTFL_GDS3_HTGL_acc6h,g3_lat_0,g3_lon_1*