[ncl-talk] compute PV on hybrid levels on a regular global grid with function pot_vort_hybrid; weird, fluctuating values toward the poles

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 6 11:57:20 MST 2019

*http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/pot_vort.shtml*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/pot_vort.shtml>

[1]
"Previously, I computed PV using data from ERA-Interim on a gaussian
grid *without
any troubles*."

[2]
"Now I try the same, but with ERA-Interim data on a* regular 1x1 grid.*

*---*
*pot_vort_hybrid
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/pot_vort_hybrid.shtml>*:
This function works with both gaussian and regular grids. Same code, just a
switch for the grid type

---
I *speculate* that the ECMWFspectral  interpolation from the source
gaussian grid to 1x1 is the issue. *Spectral interpolation can result in
"ringing" due to Gibbs phenomenon.*

*D*